Saturday, September 6, 2008

The 5th Wheel

It's fair time around here, but I won't be going this year (we're sick). I have always loved going to the county fair. We had a pretty decent one up until a few years ago when people decided to quit entering stuff...

But this story takes place when I was somewhere between 19 and 21. I was single. Two of my good girlfriends from high school were respectively married, and either married or in a serious relationship (which depends on if I was 19 or 21!).

We all decided it would be fun to go to the fair. I was so hyped up about this that I neglected to realize that I would be...

The 5th wheel.

That's right, I didn't think to invite another girlfriend, or even a guy friend (of which I had many, thanks to our imbalanced youth group).

It was all fun and games through the eating and the walking in the animal barns, until we got to the carnival section.

Anyone ever been to the fair/carnival? Those rides are designed for 2.

Guess where that left me?

Alone.

And then it was getting dark (and romantic, in a carnival atmosphere-ish way) and so the two couples were strolling along holding hands while I was left to bring up the rear.

I trailed a few feet behind and made a solemn vow that I would never go to the fair by myself with couples again.

And that I would do my best to never put any of my friends in this position.

Lessons can be learned from painful situations! ;)

This post written for Soap Opera Sunday hosted by The Extraordinary Ordinary.

7 comments:

Brillig said...

UGH! Carnivals are supposed to be fun!!! What a nightmare. Ick. I'm now wondering if I ever did that to my friends. I hope not. What a great lesson to learn, though!

Great post! Yay for Soap Opera Sunday!

Heather of the EO said...

Oh, I've been there, wandering around behind wondering what to do with myself...ugh. No fun. Thank you for sharing this!

Unknown said...

Shoot! Was certain that your story would end with meeting up with another fifth wheel on the ferris wheel!

Shellie said...

What a bummer! Live and learn.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Been there. Done that. Got married. Never going back!

LisAway said...

Oh I hate that. I can totally feel it in my stomach, that feeling of awkwardness/lonliness.

charrette said...

That is one of the worst feelings ever. Miserable. Awkward. Alone with a capital A. Live and learn!