Saturday, September 27, 2008

SOS - The Story of Dan

For the intro to this story go here (or just scroll down).

After I inserted my foot in my mouth and pretty much let Dan know that I was interested in him I tried to back off.

Somewhere along the line I found out that his "nickname" was Mickey. I think he may have actually told me this himself. So being the cool junior high girl that I was I called him on Christmas Day. Only when I called I asked for Mickey. And then I said "Merry Christmas" and hung up.

He never asked if it was me so I have no idea if he ever figured it out...

Towards the end of that year I convinced one of my girlfriends to ask him out for me. She was sweet, and super intelligent, and was "one of the guys" so I figured she was a good one to ask him.

So when our class went to the library she went up to him and asked if he would go out with me. He said no, there's someone else I have in mind. When she asked who? he said "you".

That pretty much showed where his affections lay and after that I never tried to be anything remotely resembling romantic with him again. It seemed he was way out of my league anyway. He was a good basketball player and a decent football player. I think his spring sport was golf. But he hung out with the "cool" crowd of which I was decidedly not a part. (I was one of those "runners" if finishing dead last in ever cross country meet can be called "running"! But I did it for 4 years...)

We continued to be acquaintances through high school (not hard to do in a school where your class is less than 100), but I don't think we ever had any classes together.

I saw him a couple years later and he was attending a police academy, but the school had some issues so he never finished.

This year was my 10 year high school reunion and I was so hoping he would show up. He didn't, although a good friend of his told me he was supposed to be there.

I did a little internet searching (the unusual name makes it pretty easy) and found a few simple references to him so I know he's still in the state, actually following in his father's footsteps and has a good job that I'm sure he enjoys.

His friend told me he has a little boy although he didn't mention a wife/girl so I half wonder if he was ashamed to come to our reunion because of where he's at in life. Sad.

I guess you might say I've carried a torch for him all these years and I was hoping to get a chance to talk to him once more...

This post is part of Soap Opera Sunday hosted by The Extraordinary Ordinary.

5 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

Thank you for playing along this month!
I didn't even put it together that you were the same person when I said "nice to meet you" on your other blog. oops. :)

I think we've all got "that guy" from the past that we'll always be curious about (and maybe even google their name for fun:) Thank you for sharing your story.

Becky said...

Like Heather said, everybody's gotta have that person they think about every now and again. It's funny how people make impressions on us, even if we may not know them very well.

Thanks for the drama! :)

Aquaspce said...

I agree with Heather
There are a couple of guys I wonder about from time to time, and can't seem to erase from my mind!

LisAway said...

Oh, I have a list of those boys, too.

And I don't think I ever came in last, my best friend did, but I'm pretty sure that I was always the second to last one across the line from our team. I only ran one year, though. I commend you for your perseverance!

charrette said...

I love the hilariously immature Christmas phone call. And the perfect junior high answer to your friend.

At the same time there's a sweet sadness to this, holding out a flame for that boy all these years.