Saturday, October 25, 2008

SOS - A camping trip

Welcome to Soap Opera Sunday... I'm your host for the month of October. If you're new, the "rules" are here. Link up your story at the end of this post... the more the merrier!


This month's theme for Soap Opera Sunday is Long Distance Relationships.

Last week you learned that Brad came to meet my parents... and it never happened. My grandmother recovered okay from her broken hip, she's still with us today at 92. She could never live alone again and so ended up moving into an assisted living home just 2 blocks from my parents.

But back to the Brad story...

Summer turns into fall. Brad is still in North Carolina and it doesn't really look like his unit will be going to Iraq. They're covering the base while all the other units are over there. He's hopeful that he will be able to get out soon (his 6 year term was already up), but there's no end in sight. He's getting really bored.

Another trip out west is called for!

This time he's coming for over a week. All the leave time he has available.

It's the middle of September and he's supposed to fly in Friday morning so we can meet some of my friends for lunch before heading off to Oregon for a wedding and some sightseeing. Unfortunately there are the remains of a hurricane drifting over the east coast so his flight is delayed. Too many hours to make lunch and we get to Oregon late in the evening.

We're staying with some of my younger college buddies in their dorm rooms, me in a girls room, he in a guys room. My girlfriend is a bit worried when I tell her we're going camping after leaving her. I just brush her off. What other option do we have?

Saturday is my friend's wedding. We get there too early and take a walk in the woods. A little make-out session is had, but it gets a bit too hot and steamy for me. Disturbing?

The wedding is fantastic and in the evening we headed down to Eugene to visit Reser Stadium and the memorial to Prefontaine. Brad is a big runner and Pre is his idol. This is where he lived, trained, and died prematurely. I planned this so he could "walk on hallowed ground".

We ended up camping that night just outside Eugene. Brad had brought along Army MRE's for us. I can now say I've tried one. They're not horrible, but they're not great either. And they have more calories in them than a normal person would eat in 3 days! Lots of carbs and protein.

Then, the two of us, in a tent. The clothes stayed on, but his hands didn't. I'd never done anything more than kiss a boy before this. I didn't quite know what was happening. I didn't know what to do with myself. I finally told him that it was likely I could get pregnant if we didn't stop (because I know my body). He said that's not what he had in mind, but I'm not really sure...

Sunday we ended up back in Seattle and things just started to go downhill. He needed a rental car to do some touring during the week while I was at work. After picking one up we were tired and he was hungry. I wanted to go to bed since I had to work, but he insisted we go out to dinner. We did and fought all the way back.

He left in the morning for 3 nights out on the Olympic Peninsula. No cell service. Me going to work all week, thinking about what happened, and writing him a 5 page letter...


This story has two more weeks in it. I'm not sure who's hosting yet for November, but I'll be here, link or not!

4 comments:

LisAway said...

This sounds like a case of the "love each other when we're far away, but somehow don't fit once we get together."

My story has another week, too. I guess that's just how long distance relationships are, they just go on and on!

Brillig said...

Hey, babe! Thanks so much for hosting. I'm finally playing this week! I have to run, so I haven't had a chance to read and comment on your post yet. But I didn't want to link myself up and not comment at all, so... what I'm saying is... I'll be back!

Melain said...

I'm thinking you two are NOT a good fit. Pretty sure the next two weeks will prove me right. I'll have to come back and see!

Melissa said...

I linked up. Thanks for hosting!