Saturday, October 11, 2008

SOS - A Visit to Seattle

Sorry for not having Mr. Linky up with my post! He's there now.

Welcome to Soap Opera Sunday... I'm your host for the month of October. If you're new, the "rules" are here. Link up your story at the end of this post... the more the merrier!


This month's theme for Soap Opera Sunday is Long Distance Relationships.


Last week you found out about Brad, my friend what was about to be shipped off to Iraq shortly after the invasion...

Well, Brad and his unit sit in North Carolina for weeks waiting for their desert uniforms. In the meantime he's trying to finish up his semester course work long distance so he can at least get his diploma.

Finally it seems that they may not be shipped out any time soon and Brad starts to wonder if he can get out. His National Guard term was for 6 years and he was supposed to be done sometime that summer. Of course this was extended indefinitely due to the invasion.

The first of May rolls around and I graduate from college and move to Seattle. I have a roommate from college moving in, but not for a month. I have no job (I'm looking) and don't really know anyone in Seattle. I'm LONELY!

Brad is in North Carolina. He has some light duties and training during the day, but he's bored.

My parents set me up with a cell phone for graduation (mostly to keep tabs on me I'm sure!) and of course the first thing I do is call Brad. Only I didn't know that I didn't have a national plan! So after a week I figure out that I'm going to have a HUGE bill and be in trouble. But I call the company and actually manage to talk my way out of the charges by signing up for that national plan.

So, basically I start talking to Brad nightly. We talk for hours, about anything and nothing. He makes me laugh. When it's before 9pm my time he calls on my house phone. When his battery dies, we stop talking.

He decides that he's going to use his leave time and come visit me since he's never been to the west coast. So for Memorial Day weekend he flies out to see me. He has to stay in a hotel since I'm living alone, but that's okay since we're just friends, right. Right?

I take him up to Mt. Rainier where we have a snowball fight. I take him to the top of the Space Needle to see the view. I take him out to see the ocean. We sit on the jetty and he starts playing with my hair... and then my hands.

Pretty soon we're holding hands. And we do so for the entire 3 hour drive back to my place. I guess this is a relationship?

He flies out the next day...

1 comment:

LisAway said...

Love those good long phone conversations. It sounds like you planned some romantic activities for his visit. (snowball fights are romantic, of course).

And finally something starts happening and he has to go? Looking forward to next week.